Today, the National Audit Office revealed that despite the Tories’ plan to create 200,000 new homes for first-time buyers, not a single one has been built.
Here are five reasons you can’t trust the Tories to fix the housing crisis:
- Despite setting aside over £2bn to build 200,000 new starter homes, none were built.
- The number of new homes for affordable home ownership has almost halved since 2010.
- Under the Tories, the number of new social rented homes has fallen by over 80%, so we are now building 30,000 fewer socially rented homes each year than under Labour
- There are nearly 900,000 fewer home owning households under 45 than in 2010.
- Over 126,000 children are recorded as homeless in temporary accommodation – an increase of 70% since 2010.